Bolus has traditionally been a challenging aspect of delivering treatment. The most commonly used bolus material is called Superflab, a rubber-like sheet does not conform well to patient anatomies where there is curvature in two dimensions or where the surface is irregular. This inability to conform results in the creation of air gaps between the bolus and the patient surface which can compromise the treatment efficency.
To overcome the issues of conventional bolus, the Simple Bolus module integrates with the Treatment Planning System to produce a patient-specific bolus design. It includes either a uniform thickness sheet bolus determined by a user-specified ROI, or a bolus created using a drawing tool on the CT image data. The structure is then exported as an STL file which can be accepted and 3D printed in a matter of hours without requiring the therapists or patient to be present during fabrication. The Simple Bolus module can be used for both photon and electron radiotherapy and is compatible with standard treatment planning systems.
Key Benefits of Simple Bolus
- Patient-specific fit eliminates air gaps and resultant surface dose uncertainty
- Optimized fabrication process through in-house 3D printing, allowing medical facilities to allocate their resources more efficiently and treat more patients
- Post-processing editing features available for the user to customize bolus
- Cropping Function ensures a smooth adhesion to the print bed
- Smoothing Function decreases patient discomfort
- Patient ID Tag Function enables the centre to identify the patient in which the bolus belongs, allowing the device to be used for multiple fractions